Hey everybody! If you can’t tell, we’re pretty much on coast around here until the weekend. We’re soaking up the calm before the storm since we knocked out some big projects. Lisa and I are super excited about the return of some of our favorite television shows. In reality, we’re watching all of these on Hulu+ and not actually on our TV. Same thing though, right?
1. 30 Rock. We started watching this show while Lisa was on her maternity leave. About five years late to the party, we really took to this show. Liz Lemon gets quoted a lot around here. What the what? She’s also originally from the Philly area and has dropped some Flyers and Bobby Clarke references on the show before. Really looking forward to this one.
2. Community. We started watching this show while waiting for 30 Rock to resume and I was shocked at how funny it is. I personally think Community is actually funnier than 30 Rock. The humor is a little less subtle, but very clever. Every character on this show brings a unique comedic flavor that usually leaves Lisa and I in stitches. The cast is brilliant. This is another show we started watching late. We picked it up on Hulu after season three and quickly blew through every episode. The school dean is a riot and we pretty much quote him all day long. “Sweet Deans.”
3. The New Girl. This was one of those shows that Lisa checked out. She was hooked after the first episode. Halfway through the first season I started watching it with her. Very good show. The cast has great chemistry and the episodes are always fun stories. The characters are all in their mid to late twenties, are approaching the “you should be married by now” age and are dealing with their respective places in life. After a couple episodes you’ll get attached to the cast and start rooting for them. We recommend it.
4. The Mindy Project. Not going to lie. I’ve only seen one episode. Lisa’s watched two so far. It’s hugely funny. Mindy Kaling has a sharp biting wit that’s refreshing and most definitely worth watching. I think it’s brand new. Check it out.
Honestly, we don’t watch a ton of TV. We’ve mainly watching a show here and there before bed with an iPad. These four shows will definitely be on our radar though this fall along with the occasional Modern Family and Happy Endings now and then.
Are you looking forward to any shows this fall??
Happy Friday! The theme for this week’s fave post is ice cream! I cannot contain myself. I love ice cream but then again who doesn’t? Over the past few
days weeks I’ve been lucky enough to try some new flavors and some classics. These are my favorites!
1. My favorite sundae is at Dairy Queen. I order a small hot fudge sundae and add Spanish peanuts. It’s essentially a Peanut Buster Parfait, but half the size. Nom nom nom.
2. Blueberry crumble by Haagen Dazs. Have you ever had fresh blueberry ice cream? If not, it’s a must. But if it’s not in your immediate future may I suggest this frozen concoction? It’s super creamy and the blueberries are soo good!
3. Trader Joe’s Mint Chocolate Chip. I have just tried this flavor this year and it’s delicious! There are chunks of chocolate and a lot of them, too. The mint is very mint-y and creamy as well.
4. Snickers ice cream bars. Do you like snickers? Of course you do! Then run out to the store and buy an ice cream snickers now. My suggestion is to buy a single bar at a time, because of you buy a multi-pack you may eat more than one.
5. Ben & Jerry’s Half Baked. What happens when you mix brownies and cookie dough and ice cream? This tasty treat from B&J! If your watching your calories, they make a frozen yogurt version, too.
That’s it! What a better way to celebrate August than to go out and eat some ice cream with family or friends?
What’s your favorite flavor?
Btw, in case you were wondering what’s the latest with our wainscoting project, John and I should be close to finishing it this weekend. It looks pretty sharp and we’ll probably have something to show for you next week! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Hey kids! So I am hoping to start a new tradition over here at Our Home From Scratch (dot com) and am planning on sharing some of my favorite things with all of you… on a weekly basis. Most of my inspiration will come from, of course, Pinterest, since it just has a plethora of good things.
This week’s theme is Martha Stewart. Martha is the ultimate inspiration for all good things. She bakes, she cooks, she cleans, she organizes, she decorates – she does it all. Best of all she shares all of her amazing ideas with us!!
So in her honor, I share (some) of my favorites, Martha Stewart style!
1. Baking Handbook – This is a great cookbook for cakes, pies, cookies, and cupcakes AND it also give us a lot of information regarding techniques and tools to use.
2. Cheesy Snowman – yes folks, it’s cheese shaped like a snowman, and yes I’ve made it and it is delicious!! This is a great idea for your holiday parties.
3. Cupcake Cake Pops – these are so adorable. I have already done the cupcake-themed party and made cake pops, but these would have been a great addition. The instructions seems pretty simple, but I just wasn’t up for the challenge.
4. Linen Closet Organization - I love all of Martha’s organization tips. I love her linen closets with the shelves marked with each item listed. She has some great videos on her site as well. Btw, how in the world do you fold the fitted mattress sheet? I can never get that to look good folded.
5. Pom Poms – I am pretty sure Martha invented these. They are great and look perfect for weddings or parties. She has instructions for big and small pom poms. We actually had pink pom poms hanging from the ceiling fan at our daughter’s birthday party.
Well there you have it! What are your favorite Martha Stewart recipes, ideas, or crafts? I would love to hear from you.
Back with my first post in a while and I thought I would share a few of my favorite apps for the iPhone (in no particular order).
This one has to be mentioned first since I am using it right now! It makes writing a post super easy and convenient for a super busy mom (like me!). It’s also great because I can easily upload photos that I take with my iPhone and add to posts.
This app is really useful to crop and rotate pics taken on the go. I also like the app since it is really simple to use!
If you have used this app then I bet you agree – its a really cool app! This one takes photos (new or on your camera roll) and puts them through a filter to change the color/exposure of the pic. My favorite filter is “Nashville.” I almost always use this one for my pictures.
4. TinyZoo Friends
This is a newbie app for me. I downloaded and I really enjoy playing at nighttime to unwind. It’s really neat – you get to breed animals, clean the zoo, and earn (pretend) money. I like the challenge of playing without using any real money from my app store. You have to check back periodically to check on your breeding animals and feed and clean their cages. It sorta reminds me of my Tomagachi way back in the 90’s.
5. Elmo Calls
This is the only app I paid for. Well, I borrow it from my mom! I have an iPhone 3 (aka the dinosaur) and I can’t even download this one. If you have a little one I am sure they would love this. This app basically turns your phone into a phone call from Elmo. It rings and when the kiddo answers, Elmo’s video appears and your little one’s face is on the other side of the video. It’s really cool. I don’t think my description does it justice.
6. All of the Sprout apps!
Our little one loves the Sprout channel and I have all the Sprout apps! They include one for videos and games, a dress Chica app, and a brush Star’s teeth app! They are really great and are helpful for keeping the little ones occupied for a little bit.
7. Lullaby Lamb Lite
This one is good for soothing sounds on the go. The music is really relaxing (even for big kids, too) and the lamb jumps over the pillow which is too cute!
8. PBS Kids
This app is awesome! It has a TON of PBS Kids shows including Sesame Street and Dinosaur Train!
Well kids, that’s my two cents for some pretty awesome apps. Just remember these are only my humble opinion. I am sure once I post this I will be able to think of a bunch more – so maybe I can write a second post?
Now I want to hear from you – what are some of your favorite apps!?
I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday! Lisa and I are mostly kicking it old school in our pajamas most of the week. We’re not trying to go too crazy with the upgrades around here, but we have been getting quite a lot of our grand plan done and we can’t wait to share it with everyone.
BUT, for now it’s my turn to list my favorite Christmas songs. Especially since we’re still listening to ‘em around the clock. On Wednesday, Lisa listed her’s. I tried writing this post late last week, but I just too tired from all the shopping and gorging myself with holiday food. So here goes..
1. Please Come Home for Christmas – The Eagles
John: I have to say, I’m totally relieved that this song is sung by the Eagles and not just Don Henley. I was worried that my musical interests are something out of a 1980’s VH1 special.
Lisa: I like this song. Nothing smart to say about it.
2. That Spirit of Christmas – Ray Charles
John: Best song from the greatest Christmas movie ever made.
Lisa: I’m pretty sure when James Caan asks Buddy the Elf to sing in his office is the best song from the greatest Christmas movie ever.
John: There is no way Will Farrell sings a better Christmas song than Ray Charles. Not possible.
Lisa: I’ll give you that. But Elf is still the best movie ever.
3. Blue Christmas – Elvis
Lisa: Whoa! I’m shocked. Almost speechless.
Lisa: Awesome song by and awesome-est singer.
4. Oh Holy Night – Josh Groban
Lisa: Again, a very nice pick, I’m impressed.
John: Excellent song. Nothing really funny here. Wait, why are you impressed? What kind of Christmas music did you think I listen to?
Lisa: I dunno… Mariah Carey?
5. All I Want for Christmas – Mariah Carey
John: Nah, just kidding. No way!
5. Burl Ives – Holly Jolly Christmas
John: A timeless classic.
Lisa: I like it too! I’m impressed with your picks.
John: While I’m mildly offended that you think I have terrible taste, I’m happy that we agree.
Thanks for stopping by! What are your favorite Christmas songs? Are you still listening to them even though we’re past Christmas?
Well kiddos it’s that time again… for John and I to share
our my favorite Christmas songs with the world! This list is going to be lengthy, so we are going to split this post into two posts.
Lisa’s Top Christmas Songs:
1. Neil Diamond – Joy to the World
Lisa: This is one of my favorite songs, I probably picked this as numero uno since it’s sung by one of my faves, Neil Diamond. I really like the lyrics, and Neil’s spin on the tradition song, and the gospel singers in the background. I mean if this song doesn’t make you smile by the end.. .then you are a scrooge. *smiling is my favorite*
John: I would like to add that you listen to this song all year long and by Thanksgiving I’m about done with it. At least it’s not in your car anymore.
Lisa: Actually, it is in my car, I just put it in yesterday. You can listen on the 2 plus hour car ride on Christmas!
2. Christmas Wrapping – The Waitresses
Lisa: Awesome song. I like the beat and the clearly 80s feel to it!
John: You’re one of seven people in this country who actually know who sings this song.
Lisa: You’re an angry elf.
3. Up on the House Top
Lisa: This song is great! I really started liking this song in high school when we would sing this in choir and made all these really sweet dance moves to go along with the lyrics.
John: Number one, if you can do these dance moves on the couch, they aren’t sweet. Number two, the kids in this song get terrible toys. One of the kids gets a whip. In 2011 that’s called poor parenting. How about a knife that shivs while we’re at it.
Lisa: That’s what’s great about the song!!! Finally we agree on a song!
John: And who wants a whip before Indiana Jones made it cool? This song is from like 1962 AND I can’t believe I have to tell you how to spell “Indiana” because you never saw those movies.
Lisa: One, this song is like from the 50s and two, I think we just figured out our next “favorites” list – movies you like that I haven’t seen!
4. Dominick the Donkey
Lisa: Awesome song because it’s about an ITALIAN Christmas donkey who speaks Italian and climbs the hills of Italy – what more could you want from a Christmas song?
John: I never heard this song until I started dating you and I agree it’s an awesome song. It makes me want to grow a serious mustache. That youtube video was directed by Scorsese… Joey Scorsese.
Lisa: You can’t even grow a non-serious mustache if you tried. Back to the song. La la la la la.
John: I’m going to write the Polish version and it will be called “Stanislaw Worcheski the Buttered Polish Pierogie”
5.The Hanukkah Song – Adam Sandler
Lisa: Adam Sandler is a genius! I don’t know who all the people mention in the original version of this song… but it’s awesome! Also, Neil Diamond did a version of this song as well and it’s great!!
John: I don’t have anything to say about this song. Technically, this isn’t a Christmas song, but it’s still a great holiday song.
My honorable mentions (in no particular order):
6. Santa Claus is Coming to Town by Bruce Springstein
Lisa: I’m not a huge fan of the Boss, but I really enjoy his take on this song.
John: Neither am I, but legally that has to change since we moved to Jersey – it’s required by state law.
Lisa: That seems fair.
7. I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas
Lisa: I’m pretty sure I listened to this song about a million times one Christmas when I was little. I couldn’t get enough of it!!!
John: I have never heard this song before. Ever. And I never hope to again.
Lisa: the song doesn’t like you either.
I have a lot more songs I want to share with you later in the week because the truth is I love ALL Christmas songs and it is so hard to pick my favorites! Plus, I think John wants to pick some too (BOO!). So stop by later.
Obviously John and I don’t see eye to eye on Christmas music. What are your thoughts? Are my picks really that weird? Is there a song (or album) you and your family have to listen to each year?
Buddy the Elf, what’s your favorite color? ‘Tis the season for Christmas movies! Every year about this time Lisa and I love to watch our favorite holiday films. A lot of them we both enjoy, but some of them we don’t see eye to eye on… at all. Here is a list of our favorite Christmas movies…
Lisa: I painted a picture of a butterfly.
John: Whenever this movie gets mentioned, all you do is quote it.
Lisa: He’s an angry elf.
John: I’m 5’8″, I’m not an elf.
Lisa: Does Santa know you left the workshop?
2. A Christmas Story
Lisa: This movie stinks.
John: I’d like to point out that you just saw this movie for the first time last year, I’m pretty sure you were living under a rock.
Lisa: I don’t know, I never de-clawed kittens before.
John: I think I see where this is going…
3. National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
John: How can you not enjoy Chevy Chase and Randy Quaid in their prime?
Lisa: Candy, Candy Canes and Syrup.
John: You surprised to see us, Clark? Oh, Eddie… If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn’t be more surprised than I am now.
Lisa: I’m sorry that I ruined your lives and crammed eleven cookies in the VCR.
4. Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer
John: We’re not doing a Christmas movie post ever again.
Lisa: Does someone need a hug?
John: I liked this movie for about five minutes when I was eight.
Lisa: It’s really, really, cute and I have nothing bad to say about it because I really like it.
5. Home Alone
Lisa: It’s really entertaining. It has some great Christmas music.
John: One day, I’m probably going to booby-trap the house like Kevin McAllister did… and you’re my Joe Pesci.
Lisa: That means the dog is Daniel Stern.
John: This is just like Santa’s workshop, only it smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to kill me.
*All images courtesy of wikipedia.org
So that was painful. Do you like the same Christmas movies as us? Of course you do. Do you have any of your own favorites you watch every Christmas?
Hey! Thanks for stopping by. We're Lisa and John and this is our DIY and Home Improvement blog. Feel free to browse our DIY project gallery or our latest posts. You can read more here.
Sign Up to get your copy of our Woodworking Plans