Posted by John on August 29th, 2012
Hey everybody! If you can’t tell, we’re pretty much on coast around here until the weekend. We’re soaking up the calm before the storm since we knocked out some big projects. Lisa and I are super excited about the return of some of our favorite television shows. In reality, we’re watching all of these on Hulu+ and not actually on our TV. Same thing though, right?
1. 30 Rock. We started watching this show while Lisa was on her maternity leave. About five years late to the party, we really took to this show. Liz Lemon gets quoted a lot around here. What the what? She’s also originally from the Philly area and has dropped some Flyers and Bobby Clarke references on the show before. Really looking forward to this one.
2. Community. We started watching this show while waiting for 30 Rock to resume and I was shocked at how funny it is. I personally think Community is actually funnier than 30 Rock. The humor is a little less subtle, but very clever. Every character on this show brings a unique comedic flavor that usually leaves Lisa and I in stitches. The cast is brilliant. This is another show we started watching late. We picked it up on Hulu after season three and quickly blew through every episode. The school dean is a riot and we pretty much quote him all day long. “Sweet Deans.”
3. The New Girl. This was one of those shows that Lisa checked out. She was hooked after the first episode. Halfway through the first season I started watching it with her. Very good show. The cast has great chemistry and the episodes are always fun stories. The characters are all in their mid to late twenties, are approaching the “you should be married by now” age and are dealing with their respective places in life. After a couple episodes you’ll get attached to the cast and start rooting for them. We recommend it.
4. The Mindy Project. Not going to lie. I’ve only seen one episode. Lisa’s watched two so far. It’s hugely funny. Mindy Kaling has a sharp biting wit that’s refreshing and most definitely worth watching. I think it’s brand new. Check it out.
Honestly, we don’t watch a ton of TV. We’ve mainly watching a show here and there before bed with an iPad. These four shows will definitely be on our radar though this fall along with the occasional Modern Family and Happy Endings now and then.
Are you looking forward to any shows this fall??
Posted by Lisa on August 3rd, 2012
Happy Friday! The theme for this week’s fave post is ice cream! I cannot contain myself. I love ice cream but then again who doesn’t? Over the past few
days weeks I’ve been lucky enough to try some new flavors and some classics. These are my favorites!
1. My favorite sundae is at Dairy Queen. I order a small hot fudge sundae and add Spanish peanuts. It’s essentially a Peanut Buster Parfait, but half the size. Nom nom nom.
2. Blueberry crumble by Haagen Dazs. Have you ever had fresh blueberry ice cream? If not, it’s a must. But if it’s not in your immediate future may I suggest this frozen concoction? It’s super creamy and the blueberries are soo good!
3. Trader Joe’s Mint Chocolate Chip. I have just tried this flavor this year and it’s delicious! There are chunks of chocolate and a lot of them, too. The mint is very mint-y and creamy as well.
4. Snickers ice cream bars. Do you like snickers? Of course you do! Then run out to the store and buy an ice cream snickers now. My suggestion is to buy a single bar at a time, because of you buy a multi-pack you may eat more than one.
5. Ben & Jerry’s Half Baked. What happens when you mix brownies and cookie dough and ice cream? This tasty treat from B&J! If your watching your calories, they make a frozen yogurt version, too.
That’s it! What a better way to celebrate August than to go out and eat some ice cream with family or friends?
What’s your favorite flavor?
Btw, in case you were wondering what’s the latest with our wainscoting project, John and I should be close to finishing it this weekend. It looks pretty sharp and we’ll probably have something to show for you next week! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Posted by Lisa on July 27th, 2012
Hey kids! So I am hoping to start a new tradition over here at Our Home From Scratch (dot com) and am planning on sharing some of my favorite things with all of you… on a weekly basis. Most of my inspiration will come from, of course, Pinterest, since it just has a plethora of good things.
This week’s theme is Martha Stewart. Martha is the ultimate inspiration for all good things. She bakes, she cooks, she cleans, she organizes, she decorates – she does it all. Best of all she shares all of her amazing ideas with us!!
So in her honor, I share (some) of my favorites, Martha Stewart style!
1. Baking Handbook – This is a great cookbook for cakes, pies, cookies, and cupcakes AND it also give us a lot of information regarding techniques and tools to use.
2. Cheesy Snowman – yes folks, it’s cheese shaped like a snowman, and yes I’ve made it and it is delicious!! This is a great idea for your holiday parties.
3. Cupcake Cake Pops – these are so adorable. I have already done the cupcake-themed party and made cake pops, but these would have been a great addition. The instructions seems pretty simple, but I just wasn’t up for the challenge.
4. Linen Closet Organization - I love all of Martha’s organization tips. I love her linen closets with the shelves marked with each item listed. She has some great videos on her site as well. Btw, how in the world do you fold the fitted mattress sheet? I can never get that to look good folded.
5. Pom Poms – I am pretty sure Martha invented these. They are great and look perfect for weddings or parties. She has instructions for big and small pom poms. We actually had pink pom poms hanging from the ceiling fan at our daughter’s birthday party.
Well there you have it! What are your favorite Martha Stewart recipes, ideas, or crafts? I would love to hear from you.
Posted in Favorites,Home Decor. Tagged in ,favorites, Martha Stewart, Pinterest
Posted by Lisa on April 24th, 2012
Back with my first post in a while and I thought I would share a few of my favorite apps for the iPhone (in no particular order).
This one has to be mentioned first since I am using it right now! It makes writing a post super easy and convenient for a super busy mom (like me!). It’s also great because I can easily upload photos that I take with my iPhone and add to posts.
This app is really useful to crop and rotate pics taken on the go. I also like the app since it is really simple to use!
If you have used this app then I bet you agree – its a really cool app! This one takes photos (new or on your camera roll) and puts them through a filter to change the color/exposure of the pic. My favorite filter is “Nashville.” I almost always use this one for my pictures.
4. TinyZoo Friends
This is a newbie app for me. I downloaded and I really enjoy playing at nighttime to unwind. It’s really neat – you get to breed animals, clean the zoo, and earn (pretend) money. I like the challenge of playing without using any real money from my app store. You have to check back periodically to check on your breeding animals and feed and clean their cages. It sorta reminds me of my Tomagachi way back in the 90′s.
5. Elmo Calls
This is the only app I paid for. Well, I borrow it from my mom! I have an iPhone 3 (aka the dinosaur) and I can’t even download this one. If you have a little one I am sure they would love this. This app basically turns your phone into a phone call from Elmo. It rings and when the kiddo answers, Elmo’s video appears and your little one’s face is on the other side of the video. It’s really cool. I don’t think my description does it justice.
6. All of the Sprout apps!
Our little one loves the Sprout channel and I have all the Sprout apps! They include one for videos and games, a dress Chica app, and a brush Star’s teeth app! They are really great and are helpful for keeping the little ones occupied for a little bit.
7. Lullaby Lamb Lite
This one is good for soothing sounds on the go. The music is really relaxing (even for big kids, too) and the lamb jumps over the pillow which is too cute!
8. PBS Kids
This app is awesome! It has a TON of PBS Kids shows including Sesame Street and Dinosaur Train!
Well kids, that’s my two cents for some pretty awesome apps. Just remember these are only my humble opinion. I am sure once I post this I will be able to think of a bunch more – so maybe I can write a second post?
Now I want to hear from you – what are some of your favorite apps!?
Posted in Baby Stuff,Blogging. Tagged in ,apps, favorites, mommy
Posted by John on December 26th, 2011
I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday! Lisa and I are mostly kicking it old school in our pajamas most of the week. We’re not trying to go too crazy with the upgrades around here, but we have been getting quite a lot of our grand plan done and we can’t wait to share it with everyone.
BUT, for now it’s my turn to list my favorite Christmas songs. Especially since we’re still listening to ‘em around the clock. On Wednesday, Lisa listed her’s. I tried writing this post late last week, but I just too tired from all the shopping and gorging myself with holiday food. So here goes..
1. Please Come Home for Christmas – The Eagles
John: I have to say, I’m totally relieved that this song is sung by the Eagles and not just Don Henley. I was worried that my musical interests are something out of a 1980′s VH1 special.
Lisa: I like this song. Nothing smart to say about it.
2. That Spirit of Christmas – Ray Charles
John: Best song from the greatest Christmas movie ever made.
Lisa: I’m pretty sure when James Caan asks Buddy the Elf to sing in his office is the best song from the greatest Christmas movie ever.
John: There is no way Will Farrell sings a better Christmas song than Ray Charles. Not possible.
Lisa: I’ll give you that. But Elf is still the best movie ever.
3. Blue Christmas – Elvis
Lisa: Whoa! I’m shocked. Almost speechless.
Lisa: Awesome song by and awesome-est singer.
4. Oh Holy Night – Josh Groban
Lisa: Again, a very nice pick, I’m impressed.
John: Excellent song. Nothing really funny here. Wait, why are you impressed? What kind of Christmas music did you think I listen to?
Lisa: I dunno… Mariah Carey?
5. All I Want for Christmas – Mariah Carey
John: Nah, just kidding. No way!
5. Burl Ives – Holly Jolly Christmas
John: A timeless classic.
Lisa: I like it too! I’m impressed with your picks.
John: While I’m mildly offended that you think I have terrible taste, I’m happy that we agree.
Thanks for stopping by! What are your favorite Christmas songs? Are you still listening to them even though we’re past Christmas?