Hey everybody! Hope you’re enjoying the cool Fall weather we’ve been having recently. It really puts me in the mood to decorate for Fall and buy more pumpkins!… and apple cider donuts!! This year we’re keeping our home’s fall themed decor simple by reusing some of the decorations we had up last year and adding a couple small yet festive new ones.
Our front door is finally finished. John just painted the sidelights to match the front door. If you recall, they were still somewhat blue-er than the gray door. The door was originally this gray color, but we attempted to paint the sidelights and the door a year ago and didn’t get the color right. Here’s the before, with the door painted the right gray color but the wrong sidelight color…
Here’s the door now, complete with a very cool blue pumpkin… If you don’t notice the color difference in the sidelights from the before and after, it’s okay, it’s pretty subtle.
We also picked up some burnt orangey mums.
On the inside of the house, we added a burlap wreath. We made the wreath ourselves from some basic craft supplies.
Our mantel looks nearly identical from last year, with the pumpkin banner and all my little pumpkins I’ve been picking up.
I also like to add some fall theme ribbon to my normal home decor to dress it up a little. See those orange ribbons around the candles? There are more than a few of those around here.
Like on my fleur de lis candles…
That’s what’s in our home at the moment. I’ll admit it, I had these decorations ready to go the day after Labor Day! I’m sure I’ll be adding a few more pumpkins here and there! Fall is the best! We’re looking forward to visiting a pumpkin patch with the baby soon!
Enjoy your decorating!! Looking forward to seeing everyone’s decor.
Hey everybody! Another busy work week here for us means less project doing and more project planning. Since we’re more or less into the whole Fall thing by now (I’m going along with it, although my feet are still in the beach sand), it’s time to post about all of our Fall projects. What better way to kick off Fall on OHFS than with a to-do list.
1. Fall Decor. Every year it’s the same thing. Lisa buys more and more pumpkins and pumpkin paraphernalia, puts them EVERYWHERE and I try to pretend that we don’t have a galactic number of orange tribbles around the house. Aside from the squadrons of black triangle eyes staring at me in every room, Lisa also just finished a pretty sweet pumpkin-less wreath for our front door. I’m sure she’ll be posting on that one soon as well as her favorite pumpkins.
2. Built-ins. You may have seen this idea in our guest post at Decor and the Dog. We’ve been thinking about making some proper built-ins for our home office. While we’re probably not actually going to start the office demo and floor installation until right before or after Christmas, the built-ins can be made well ahead of time and then installed once the room is ready for them. Just like kitchen cabinets. Beats waiting around for them!
3. Car stuff. I’m going to have some gnarly dude stuff on here. I’m behind on some much needed car maintenance. The work will vary from things everyone can do to things that I’m not sure I can do myself. It’s going to be fun and we’ll all learn something. I’m in need of an oil change, I’d like to clean up and paint my alloy wheels and repair some rust, which may or may not involve welding.
4. Paint more stuff. We haven’t showed your our master bedroom or our master bath yet. Plus, we have a small sitting room in our master bedroom that’s got zero stuff in it right now. Nada. It needs furniture, paint, the works. Hopefully, we’ll get to some of these. We still have a LOT of white, unpainted walls.
5. Yard Updates. We haven’t had a yard post here in a long time since we were pretty much consumed with wainscoting. We owe you one. Even if we don’t actually do any projects out here while it cools off, we’ll show you where we’re at. We’ve got some ideas to help improve the look and ease the maintenance.
So, that’s what’s coming your way before the holidays. Yikes. Christmas will be here in three months!! Too soon, too soon.
What’s on your fall agenda?
The pumpkin obsession continues …
Heirloom Pumpkins (aka Cinderella Pumpkins) have been everywhere this year! The pumpkin patch we visited had so many to choose from.
My favorites this year are the blue pumpkins!
The market also had these cute hanging pumpkin baskets.. perfect for a porch, or deck, or inside your house in the family room.
.. I am currently in the process of decorating the front door with the goodies I snatched up! That post is coming Friday! See you then!
How many pumpkins did you pick up this year? Is there such thing as too many pumpkins?
Notice anything different around here? Maybe our spooky Halloween banner? Thought we’d be festive! This week and next we’ll have some Halloween themed posts.
Yesterday my mom and I took the baby to an apple and farmers market that turns into a great pumpkin patch and Mum garden in the fall. This was our first visit there and won’t be our last.
So many beautiful Mums! I am sure you will be seeing some later on this month at our house…
Time for pumpkins! They had so many different types and sizes.
Spooky Haunted House …. nestled between the Mums and fresh local produce.
Inside of the market was organic foods, fresh breads, and homemade pies. I loved the fireplace where you could sit down and enjoy a hot cup of apple cider.
Stay tuned to see what goodies I brought back and used at the house… I know you can’t wait!!
The Fall love continues! I bought these pumpkin cut outs at the dollar store way back in August when the Fall decor was just being rolled out.
I didn’t have any clue what I was going to do with them, but I figured I would think of something. I was going through my Fall decor tote to see what items I didn’t put out yet when I came across my baggie full of fall colored ribbons and vase fillers. I figured I would make a fall banner with the pumpkin cut outs and ribbon.
The cut outs came in four colors. I am not crazy about the green pumpkin so I tried out my banner idea with the green ones before I used the others.
Here’s the ribbon I used. I bought a couple spools of this one last year to tie ribbons around candlesticks and candles.
I used a hole punch to punch out two holes to run the ribbon through.
I tried threading the ribbon two ways.
First through the back.
And then through the front (my favorite).
Here’s the pattern I decided on too.
I used a total of nine pumpkins (three of each color). I put three pumpkins together then made the hole punches. I took one pumpkin with holes and used it as a guide when punching the remaining holes so all the pumpkins would look even.
I wove the ribbon through the pumpkins.
Then the banner was all ready to be hung up!
Here it is!
Well, there you have it, a pretty simple pumpkin banner and I think it looks great!
Happy Saturday! I bet you’re surprised to see me today! Well the weather is pretty dreary out. Perfect day to stay inside and have a hot cup or coffee or tea and make some yummy treats!
I ran out to the store to check out what’s good.
Walked into Trader Joe’s and this caught my eye.
Of course I would love this – now where should I put it? I’ll keep you posted.
Also picked up some pumpkin ice cream!! Can’t wait to try this.
A few more aisles and this is what my basket looked like.
Seriously, I did not purposely buy everything orange! It just happened that way.
So, why is this post entitled ‘Blog On the Run’? Since I’m in the car sitting in the parking lot!
It’s pouring here! I’m really dreading getting out of my car again. Thank God for garages (or even designated parking spots!).
Hmm on second thought maybe it’s a PJs lounge day. I have a cute baby and puppy to snuggle with!
Hope you have a great day!
Today I began decorating the house for Fall/Halloween. I was going to wait a few more days, but I woke up and went downstairs to find this:
When I say I love pumpkins, I L O V E pumpkins. I have since I was little. My favorites are the tiny Jack-be-littles that you can buy at a farm, nursery, or supermarket. I always try and find the smallest ones. I haven’t seen any yet… but when I do I will snatch up at least a half dozen or so for the house.
Here is most of my pumpkins on the counter. See – I wasn’t kidding! Last year I had so many pumpkins around the house John told me I couldn’t bring a pumpkin in unless one went out. Ha! I just learned to sneak them in when he wasn’t home.
My first spot was to replace the (fake) fruit that’s on the island. Here is the before
And the after
I left only the oranges and orangy-looking apples. I also change to the fall-ish ribbon.
Next, the white pitcher on the kitchen table. Take a look at the before here
…and the after
Next, on to the Family Room
I added an orange wreath with matching ribbon to the mirror that’s above our sofa. (pay no attention to the woman behind the camera)
And the mantle (my favorite!!). You saw the before here and now…..
Seriously, this is just the beginning for me. I cannot wait to get some real pumpkins, then the fun really begins!
What are your thoughts – too many pumpkins? When do you start decorating??
Hey! Thanks for stopping by. We're Lisa and John and this is our DIY and Home Improvement blog. Feel free to browse our DIY project gallery or our latest posts. You can read more here.
Sign Up to get your copy of our Woodworking Plans